This project is funded by the Diocese of Oxford on behalf of the West Berkshire SACRE (Standing Advisory Committee for Religious Education). We have based the project on the Newbury Martyrs who died for their beliefs in Newbury in 1556 and whose memory was celebrated by the first of the Newbury Community Theatre Society plays. Martyrs: A Community Play for Newbury, was staged in 1984.
The issues explored; Freedom to worship, Challenges to Faith, and Justice, remain live and challenging today.
Our aim is to encourage local people to get involved in the site and to use it fully:
You will find materials:
- relating to the West Berkshire Agreed RE Syllabus at all levels
- supporting the teaching of Tudors in the Primary and Secondary National Curriculum for History
- topics and prompts relating to elements of Drama and Music education
Email or Call us on: 07812 243421
This site is part of the month long Celebrate RE
Join in the debates by joining us on Facebook:
- Share memories of the community play and what it did for you
- Explore the use of Community Plays as part of the Big Society agenda
- Just get in touch with old friends
Follow one of our online Trails?
or simply explore your own feelings in answer to the following:
What would you be willing to die for?
Has Winchcombe's vision come true?